Tuesday 4 March 2014

Whole-wheat Banana Bread with Apple Pieces

Für den Beitrag auf Deutsch, bitte hier klicken. 



I somehow always seem to have leftover apples at home. I guess that's why I love recipes that help me use them up! I came across this recipe over at fitsugar.com. If you follow my Pinterest, you might have already seen it there. I just had to try it and share it! And it was sooo good! Here we go: my successful first attempt to make banana bread with apple pieces (small adaptions to original recipe)!

Ingredients:

  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 2 apples (original recipe just uses one apple but I needed more fruit)
  • 1/2 cup Sucanat or sugar (I used brown sugar)
  • 1 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon chopped nuts (optional; I used cashews because I had them at home)

First step: Mash the bananas with a fork.


Banana Bread with Apple pieces

Second step: Dice the apples. If you like, peel them beforehand but I don't think this is necessary if you wash them properly.


Banana Bread with Apple pieces

Step 3: Add all ingredients except nuts to the bowl with the bananas and mix it up well.


Banana Bread with Apple pieces

Step 4: Put mixture into loaf pan and sprinkle with nuts.

Step 5: Bake for 40 to 50 minutes at 180°C (350°F). You can check if it's done by inserting a toothpick into the bread. If the toothpick comes out clear with no dough on it, it's done!
One thing about preheating ovens: Some people find it's essential others don't. I'm one of those who don't think it's necessary to preheat an oven for ages. It's a waste of energy and time. I think it doesn't make a difference and that everything turns out fine. Sometimes you might have to add 2-5 minutes to the baking time, though. That is why I usually don't mention that you need to preheat your oven but I won't keep you from doing it either.


Banana Bread with Apple pieces

And this is what I took out of the oven.


Banana Bread with Apple pieces

Looks pretty good in my opinion! :)


It was delicious, I tell you! This is definitely joining the list of things I'm going to bake more often!

Enjoy!
C

No comments :

Post a Comment